Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Former Obama Campaign Field Officer in Wayne County Publishes Column in Huffington Post

David Litt, now a speech writer at West Wing Writers, a firm in Washington, DC, ran the Obama campaign field office in Wooster in 2008. In a Huffington Post column, Litt recalls a woman who came into the Wayne County Democratic Party offices (the acting Obama campaign office) to make calls to undecided voters. Here is her story:

When Wendy came into our Northeast Ohio office, she would stay on her feet. Pacing back and forth with a phone in one hand, she'd call undecided voters, urging them to support Barack Obama. If we offered her a chair, she wouldn't take it. If we told her she could take a break, she would turn us down. Later, I learned why she made phone calls with such passion, and why she made them standing up.

"I have to," she said. "I have two herniated disks in my back, and sitting down is too painful. And if I don't make these calls, I won't get the healthcare I need."

Read more